Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why I had a Salad for Lunch

Last Thursday around 2:00 p.m., the kids were down for a nap, and I had an hour and a half to myself. I was rummaging through my fridge trying to find just the right thing to meet that craving I was having for lunch. What did I end up making? A salad. I didn't really want a salad that day. I would have rather sat down with a bag of chips or a Cadbury Creme Egg...but I made a salad.

While I understand that a salad is a healthy option and a good choice for lunch in many respects, there is only one reason I made a salad that day: the lettuce was on the verge of browning. How many times do you find something in your fridge or pantry that you forgot you had or just didn't get around to eating before it spoiled? What would you find if you checked your shelves right now? One of the best ways to save money and steward what God has given you without ever clipping a coupon or reading a sales ad is to use what you have in a timely manner...even when you're not in the mood. Did you read that? Even when you're not in the mood.

So I had a salad. It was yummy (complete with leftover boiled eggs from Easter that needed to be used), healthy, and very frugal.

The fountain beverage, however, is a different story. Confession: I have a current addiction to fountain beverages (3/4 Diet Coke and 1/4 Regular Coke). It is the least frugal habit I think I have ever had...but you have to make choices, right?

Next time you are making a meal...check your fridge, freezer, or pantry. What could you use that needs to be used? You might just save yourself a few bucks...and, over time, that's enough to nurture your fountain beverage habit (or whatever your current addiction is). Have a great afternoon. I'm going to go finish my Diet Coke.

No comments:

Post a Comment